Last week we blogged about ways to up your e-newsletter game in Create an E-Newsletter that Rocks! Part 2 comes from niche publishing expert Rebecca Sterner, who spoke at our Niche Digital Conference last month. She gave our attendees tons of great ideas that work.
Here are her 7 sensational tips to build an even better e-newsletter:
1. To improve open rates, do not use a generic subject line. Instead feature juiciest headline.
2. Entice readers with juicy opening paragraphs, then drive readers to website to read full article.
3. Evaluate most popular stories to inform editors on future content, OR to add new e-newsletter offerings.
4. Run your own ads for subscriptions, events, products in your e-newsletter.
5. Make sign-up forms and promotions for e-newsletters prominent on your website(s).
6. Evaluate: Do you need an email request form with lots of fields? Which is more important, the data you collect or the number who sign up?
7. Keep ‘em reading–feature a “most-clicked” or “most-shared” article.
It’s too easy to get into a rut, popping in content near deadline and cranking it out. Try these 7 ideas and start measuring the success!
More about Rebecca: Rebecca Sterner has been an independent magazine publishing consultant for over 25 years. She has led marketing projects for hundreds of titles, and she’s done it all in the publishing world: Acting President of Utne Reader, Circulation Director for The Family Handyman, launch consultant for Cricket Magazine Group, newspaper reporter, and catalog copy-writer! rebeccasterner.com
About this blogger: Diana Landau is the Content Wrangler for Niche Media. A former sales director and corporate marketing hack, she has now found nirvana in writing and wrangling quality content. Diana is a food, wine, art and SF Giants enthusiast……who sometimes gets carried away.
Niche Media has created super niched-out events specifically for magazine publishers for over 12 years. We’ve helped pave the way for the era of boutique events that connect specific audiences and provide great educational, friendly and super-fun environments! Plus, Carl Landau – Niche Media’s Grand Poobah – launched a blog all about creating and marketing targeted events – blog.NicheEventNation.com Check it out!
– Web: NicheMediaHQ.com
– Blog: Niche Media HQ
– Twitter: @NicheMediaH
– Facebook: NicheMediaHQ
– LinkedIn: Niche Media Inc & Niche Media Network
– YouTube: NicheMediaHQ
– Google+: +NicheMediaHQ
Image from freedigitalphotos.net