Carl Landau, Grand Poobah of Niche Media HQ, is a seasoned veteran in the niche event world and he’s seen it all–what to do, what not to do, and how to generate more revenue. He recently sat down with Magnificent Media’s Dave Reimherr for a podcast about live event management for niche publishers. Carl talked about how to go from 3 sponsors at your first event to 20 at your next event, estimating attendee turnout months in advance, and more.
A few of Carl’s tricks and tips discussed in the podcast include:
- What to charge attendees? Consult a circle of industry advisers before you start to determine the right price point.
- Seek out top speakers. Speakers that approach you are usually not as good as they may seem.
- Provide solid networking opportunities at your events. Networking is much more than parties – done right, networking offers meaningful connections with peers, and a great opportunity to create a core group for advice, support and new ideas.
- AV issues–ugh! Prepare for the unanticipated in performance and costs.
- Communicate often with your sponsors, speakers and attendees – before and after the event.
- Marketing–it’s good to have a theme. It provides continuity throughout the event, makes it memorable.
- Remember that the event is an opportunity for human connection in our techno-communication world.
- Plan fun activities for networking and interaction.
- Dedicate time to get your sponsors to renew with you right onsite for next year’s event.
- Find dynamic speakers, and then coach them about your program and what your niche audience wants.
- Educate AND entertain attendees. It keeps them coming back to your event each year.
- Use tiered pricing and several deadlines to create registration urgency.
Listen and learn! Take part of your lunch hour (about 40 minutes) to learn the ultimate ways to better revenue-generating events.
Download the full podcast here! Hosting the perfect live event
About this blogger: Diana Landau is the Content Wrangler for Niche Media. A former sales director and corporate marketing hack, she has now found nirvana in writing and wrangling quality content. Diana is a food, wine, art and SF Giants enthusiast…who sometimes gets carried away.
Niche Media has the best events, education, and training in media! Our super niched-out events & content give target-audience publishers in the B2C, hobbyist, B2B, city & regional, and association markets the tools they need to build revenue, audience, and more.